Opera Colorado | Marketing & Communications Intern (Paid)
This job post has expired
INTERNSHIP DATES: Weeks of Sept. 10–Nov. 12, 2018
COMPENSATION: $15/hour (14 hours per week, 140 hours total)
Opera Colorado seeks a paid, part-time Marketing & Communications Intern for the Fall 2018 semester, which coincides with the start of the company’s 2018-19 season and culminates with the run of Verdi’s "La Traviata" at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House (Nov. 3-11). The position reports to the Director of Marketing & Audience Development, and is tasked with assisting in public relations, publications, digital media, and audience development efforts.
This is an ideal opportunity for a word-savvy, arts-loving college student or recent graduate who is enthusiastic about exploring a wide range of communications duties—whether writing marketing copy, laying out program book pages, assisting in PR efforts, or creating e-newsletters and social media content…perhaps all in a single day!
Candidates should enjoy a fast-paced environment; take pride in being detail- and deadline-oriented; have the confidence to seamlessly switch between self-directed work and collaborative projects; and be excited to join a close-knit office of a dozen ambitious and creative arts administrators.
• Monitoring and archiving media coverage
• Aiding in the creation and distribution of press assets, including press releases, fact-sheets, and photo libraries
• Fact-checking and copyediting in-house editorial content, such as Opera Colorado’s blog, program book, and advertisements
• Basic layout and design opportunities for select publications and collateral pieces, using Adobe InDesign and Photoshop (no previous experience required)
• Building out Opera Colorado’s many public email communications, including weekly newsletters, pre-performance reminders, and post-performance surveys
• Assisting the Digital Content Manager as needed with website, social media, and multimedia management
• Attending select Opera Colorado events and performances to assist in audience development and patron experience efforts
• Additional writing, digital media, and creative opportunities, based on the intern’s skills and interests
REQUIRED TIME COMMITMENT & LOCATION
• 10-week internship running from the weeks of Sept. 10–Nov. 12, 2018
• 14 hours per week, for a total of 140 hours
• Specific days worked per week to be mutually decided upon by Opera Colorado and the chosen candidate, in consideration of any existing school or work commitments. However, please note that the intern must be available for opening night of "La Traviata" on Saturday, November 3, 2018.
• This position is based out of Opera Colorado’s administrative offices in Englewood, CO, and has free parking while also being conveniently located next to the Oxford Station RTD light rail stop.
• Some internship hours will take place at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House at the Denver Performing Arts Complex in downtown Denver, also accessible by public transportation. If driving, the intern will be provided with daily parking passes for the DPAC garage.
• A bachelor’s degree or currently pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in English, journalism, marketing, public relations, communications, or a related field
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
• Digital savvy, with basic experience in—or an interest in learning—InDesign, Photoshop, content management systems, e-newsletter clients, etc.
• Emotionally mature, with a good sense of humor and the ability to stay cool under pressure and the demands of multiple deadlines
• A passion for the arts and curiosity for opera is a must; a working knowledge of opera or classical music is ideal, though not necessarily required