Sounds True | Senior Marketing Copywriter
This job post has expired
Do you want to work with a group of people striving to create a wiser and kinder world? We value being of service, exceptional teamwork, authentic connection, being direct and kind and honoring human dignity while having a commitment to growth and transformation. Sounds True, founded in 1985, is a multimedia publisher specializing in spirituality, holistic living, and transformational learning. We are seeking a full-time Senior Marketing Copywriter to join our team.
The Senior Marketing Copywriter at Sounds True is a key strategic communicator, steward, and storyteller who is responsible for developing, executing, and owning the messaging strategy and relationship-building communications with our audience. We are a company of ideas, learning, and growth, and much of that potential rests on our writers, who must be both technically proficient and strategically creative.
This creative partner works with designers, developers, and marketing directors to create compelling marketing campaigns for a variety of Sounds True digital and direct-to-consumer products that include online courses, audio/video experiences, live events, and in-person summits.
In addition to the expectation of strong, results-based copywriting skills, the Senior Marketing Copywriter is expected to demonstrate proficiency in conceptual thinking, creative strategy, open- hearted collaboration across the entire team structure, and mastery of brand voice, whether that is the Sounds True master brand or one of our many authors and teachers.
Enthusiasm for the subject matter Sounds True publishes—primarily spirituality and personal development—is a plus. Our mission at Sounds True is to “Wake Up the World,” and it is important both for the quality of the work and for the quality of our shared work life that this mission is embraced by those who choose to join us on this journey.
- Creative Strategy: Work closely with the Marketing Director and Marketing Manager to think strategically about the platforms, tactics, and verbal architecture we are using to maximize audience engagement and conversion.
- Conceptual Thinking: Think big, holistically, and out of the box to discover new ideas and make new conceptual connections.
- Copywriting: Create original copy for all of Sounds True’s channels that meets our high standards of quality, timeliness, persuasiveness, and brand integrity.
- Brand Activation: Translate strategic brand foundations into engaging creative expressions and purpose-led narratives.
- Team Player: Collaborate both within your immediate team and cross-functionally to ensure ease in our collective effort as well as consistent brand expression across all channels.
- Content Knowledge: Demonstrate a broad mastery of the Sounds True content, product line, and the teachings of our authors.
- Accuracy: Work closely with the proofreading department to maintain brand voice standards and to establish and update house style for copy.
- Training: The writer must stay informed of the current trends and research on marketing writing and direct marketing, especially as it pertains to publishing, online courses, and the spirituality/self-help marketplace.
- Autonomy: Senior Marketing Copywriters are distinguished by their ability to regularly generate top-flight copy, rarely requiring significant internal revisions or rewrites.
- Customer Sensitivity: The writer must always be able to assume a customer-centric focus for how our written copy and marketing initiatives will be received in the world. The writer must be aware of the tension around “selling the dharma” and be able to handle spiritual topics with authenticity and respect.
The following responsibilities are unique to Sounds True Senior Marketing Copywriters, above and beyond the expected duties of copywriters in other organizations:
- Mission Affinity: Our Senior Marketing Copywriters are dedicated to the core Sounds True mission of disseminating spiritual wisdom.
- Title Generation: Assist with generation of titles and subtitles for Sounds True programs, courses, and other initiatives.
- Direct Digital Marketing Knowledge: Our Senior Marketing Copywriters are expected to have far broader knowledge of direct digital marketing strategies than is required in other companies. The writer is expected to be capable of showing leadership on innovating and executing new strategies.
- Brand Stewardship: The Sounds True Senior Marketing Copywriter must always be aware of the complex needs of our brand and audience, and must be empowered to advocate for brand integrity—even when our voice may be contrary to standard marketing practice. This is especially essential with freelancers and new employees not familiar with our exacting standards.
- Content Creation: The Senior Marketing Copywriter is sometimes asked to create original material not associated with direct marketing. Examples include a workbook and other curricular content for an online course; non-marketing social and blog posts; content in the author’s voice, etc.
- Education: BA or BS degree; Other writing background is acceptable.
- Experience: 8-10 years of experience as a marketing/advertising copywriter, with preference to candidates who also have 3+ years of experience at a senior-level position.
- Specialized knowledge: Knowledge of spiritual practice(s) is a plus; Interest and willingness to learn is a must.
- Skills: Copywriting. This role is heavily weighted on marketing—through the written word—somewhat complex and deeply personal subject matter. It demands a high proficiency of writing that can connect while it educates, informs, and motivates.
- Abilities: The power to “channel” the voice of other writers; we are required to ghost-write material from authors, endorsers, and Sounds True personnel.
- Personal Characteristics: Ability to receive and learn from critique; being a team player; independence and self-discipline; willingness to actively participate in Sounds True’s unique culture; passion for words and a deep interest in persuasive, high-integrity marketing.
Sounds True is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We celebrate the diverse identities that bring richness and meaning to the world, and we are committed to creating a work environment where everyone can feel a sense of belonging, respect, and purpose. We offer an excellent working environment and great benefits including health, dental, vision, paid time off, matching 401k, profit sharing, and more! The compensation range for this position is $70,000.00 - $80,000.00 annually, depending on experience. To learn more about us, visit SoundsTrue.com.