Farley Health Policy Center, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus | Communications Officer
This job post has expired
The Eugene S. Farley, Jr. Health Policy Center (FHPC) develops and translates evidence to advance systems and policies that improve health, equity, and well-being. We envision communities and environments that promote whole health for all. Our interprofessional and interdisciplinary team thrives when engaging diverse voices and ideas to act with intention to solve complex problems. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
The FHPC is seeking a Communications Officer to develop and guide strategies and products for messaging to audiences critical to health policy and decision-making processes. This is a new position for the FHPC and with it brings opportunity to guide and implement a strategic framework for the center’s communications, media and marketing. We are looking for a strategist and talented writer to amplify our work with stories and visuals to advance policy solutions that improve health and achieve health equity. In this work, you will have opportunity and responsibility to dedicate your creative vision to problem solving for social impact, health and well-being.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
The Communications Officer will promote and expand the Farley Health Policy Center’s reach, impact and brand among local, state, and national policymakers, key stakeholders, and across the Anschutz Medical Campus. Working with the FHPC executive director, communications coordinator, and team of policy researchers and analysts, the Communications Officer will help translate data and evidence into digestible policy content and messaging for issue briefs, press releases, blogs, social media and infographics to promote equitable policy development. Expectations include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Developing and executing a communications and public relations strategy for the FHPC including brand, identity management and talking points; monitoring and reporting on effectiveness of communications strategies
• Managing media and public relations; strengthening relationships for FHPC faculty to engage media and stakeholders
• Developing and disseminating content for social and digital media, website, video or graphics
This individual is a self-starter and highly motivated with meticulous attention to detail and a policy savvy communication style to bridge communication between the FHPC and the health policy community. The ideal candidate can handle multiple tasks, manage workflows, and have great follow-through on assignments and deadlines. Desired competencies include:
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills
• Intentional and thoughtful listener
• Enthusiastic and self-motivated with a commitment to consistently high-quality work
• Ability to multi-task and shift priorities rapidly to meet deadlines
• Ability to work autonomously, as part of a team, and with a range of external stakeholders
• Ability to build trust at all levels of the FHPC, School of Medicine, Anschutz Medical Campus, University and other partners.
• Great organizational skills
• Commitment to advance justice, equity, diversity and inclusion
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism, public relations, English or a directly related field from an accredited institution
• 5 years’ experience in communications/marketing or related occupations
• 2 years’ experience with policy writing and communications, preferably in the health field
• Proficiency in desktop publishing platforms
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
• Political campaign, or community organizing
• Federal or state legislative office or executive branch agency for health-related issues
• Academic or non-profit health research setting
• Storytelling, developing narratives and presenting data in creative, visual and compelling ways