Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce | Marketing and Communications Director
This job post has expired
ABOUT THE DENVER METRO CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
The Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce has been working on behalf of Colorado’s business community for more than 150 years. We never lose sight of our goal to put Coloradans to work. So, we focus on all the ways we can make this happen: We help companies start, grow and thrive; we attract new headquarters, expansions and the country’s best, brightest and healthiest workforce to our region; we advocate for policy that makes us the best place to do business; we help educate the workers of today and tomorrow; we build leaders who share Colorado’s Civic DNA™; we work towards solutions to our state’s most pressing issues; and we provide members with the network, resources and access to experts that helps them get ahead. By joining the team at the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce, you’ll be engaged in the work that transforms our region, strengthens our business community and ensures we remain competitive nationally and internationally.
POSITION SUMMARY: The director of communications and marketing leads the communications and marketing department in developing internal and external communications and marketing strategies to increase awareness of the Chamber in the community; build and execute a strong brand for the organization; communicate with and provide resources for existing investors; drive revenue through increased advertising, membership and event sales; and communicate key priorities for the organization with external stakeholders, staff and investors. This position will oversee a communications and marketing team with two staff members and will maintain responsibility for Chamber owned media, earned media, website, social media, marketing materials and executive communications needs.
• Lead the development of a strategic communications and marketing plan annually in collaboration with the SVP of external affairs, senior team of the Chamber and communications and marketing team.
• Oversee and manage the development of communications and marketing materials including newsletters, event collateral, web copy, membership materials and social content for the Chamber.
• Oversee media relations strategy. Function as media contact, working with relevant members of the senior team to prep messages and staff interviews. Respond to media queries by gathering information, setting up interviews with appropriate Chamber representatives, writing speaking points and developing press advisories, releases and proactive pitches as needed.
• Develop a strategic plan to increase social media engagement on multiple platforms including Facebook and LinkedIn.
• Function as media contact, working with relevant members of the senior team to prep messages and staff interviews. Respond to media queries by gathering information, setting up interviews with appropriate Chamber representatives, writing speaking points and developing press advisories, releases and proactive pitches.
• Daily management of Chamber communications and marketing staff/team.
• Maintain budget oversight for the communications and marketing department including management of the budget and developing strategies to meet revenue goals.
• Copy editing of materials produced by SVP of external affairs and communications and marketing team.
• Speechwriting and media support for president and CEO of the Chamber.
• Provide a lead role in a range of special communications initiatives, including producing video and other multimedia, publishing annual reports, writing speeches, and conducting customer/market research.
• Represent the Chamber at various community events and speaking engagements as needed.
• Act as a Chamber spokesperson at Chamber events.
• Attend, as needed, various Chamber committee and council meetings and events to inform development of communications and marketing strategy and materials.
• Monitor and protect the Chamber and affiliate’s brands by assuring correct usage of name, logo(s), graphic standards and images on all communication materials, signage and displays. Work with all Chamber affiliate organizations to ensure appropriate co-branding, marketing and logo use.
• Work with affiliates and departments to ensure alignment with Chamber communications strategy and help meet their individual marketing and communications needs.
• Work with IT staff and consultants and third-party vendors, when appropriate, to efficiently use technology to innovate and customize Chamber communications.
• Participate in professional development programs sponsored by the Chamber and other organizations to enhance public relations knowledge, skills and professionalism.
• Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE: Seven to 10 years of experience in marketing, communications or journalism. Similar work in a corporate communications department or membership organization is acceptable. Business context preferred.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Experience copy editing, managing publication production, content generation and with social media platforms and analytics tools, Adobe Creative Suite, website management, email marketing and media relations. Experience with multimedia presentations, especially PowerPoint, Prezi and videography.
SKILLS: Strong independent work skills with a proven track record of taking initiative and developing relationships with key decision makers within an organization. Good communication skills necessary to establish and maintain relationships, strong attention to detail, creativity and motivation to meet and exceed established goals. A proven track record of successfully maintaining and developing business and community relationships. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Must have excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills. Must have strategic communications skills including messaging and media relations. Must enjoy and have strong creative skills. Understanding of website development, art direction, electronic communication methods, graphic design, printing, social media and branding and photography required. Must be extremely detail-oriented and have the ability to manage multiple projects, priorities and tight deadlines. Must be able to interact with and interview high-level business and community leaders.
EQUIPMENT TO BE USED: PC, calculators, digital camera, video equipment, AV equipment, survey tools, scanner, telephone system, presentation software, adobe design suite.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Supervises communications manager and oversees department as a whole, which includes the manager, a senior specialist and typically an intern.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Asked to work extended hours or to attend meetings off-site as needed.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Must be able to lift 25 pounds.