University of Colorado Denver
Web Project Manager
University of Colorado Denver
Web Project Manager
University Web Services
Academic Technology & Extended Learning
The University of Colorado Denver and University Web Services are seeking applications for a temporary 9 month Web Project Manager.
UC Denver is the premier research university in Colorado, serving more than 30,000 undergraduate, graduate and health professions students in Denver, Aurora and online and awarding nearly 4,000 degrees each year. The renowned researchers and award-winning faculty of UC Denver offer more than 100 degree programs through 13 colleges and schools. In 2008 the University was awarded more than $371 million in research grants and contracts. The new Anschutz Medical Campus includes over 5 million square feet of research, educational and clinical space on 227 acres. The Downtown Campus is located in one of America's most vibrant urban centers, just steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts, the LoDo District and the state capitol. On both campuses, students, staff and faculty have access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural opportunities.
University Web Services (UWS), the department responsible for developing and supporting the university’s public-facing website and private intranet hosted in Microsoft SharePoint, has a temporary opening for a highly organized web project manager with experience managing large and small scale web-based development projects including websites, web applications and SharePoint feature enhancements.
The web project manager will serve as the “air traffic controller” with a particular emphasis on establishing project tasks/dependencies/deadlines, allocating resources, identifying risks, gathering requirements, holding review meetings and providing status updates.
This position calls for an individual with very strong organization, communication, interpersonal relationship, negotiation and problem solving skills. A successful candidate will have a sense of humor, positive attitude, love for the Internet and technology. They should have a hunger to acquire a breadth of knowledge regarding various aspects of the web projects in addition to managing the flow of the projects.
This position will be responsible for managing projects utilizing Microsoft Project and Project Server following industry-standard methodologies for establishing schedules, enterprise resource pools, time management, deliverables, milestones, critical paths, etc. Candidate must regularly communicate project status to technical and non-technical audiences across all levels of the university.
The knowledge, skills and abilities needed for this position include:
• Thorough understanding of project management methodologies and best practices on establishing project charters, schedules, constraints, risks, resources and stakeholders responsibilities.
• Meticulous about managing the details of every project and the impact each detail may have on the overall project success.
• Proficient in managing large-scale project plans with Microsoft Project Server utilizing enterprise resource pool, time management and portfolio analysis functionality.
• Able to assist project sponsors with developing project charters assuring a shared understanding of scope, resources, objectives, risks and measures of success.
• Able to create and manage clear documentation of project details (scope document, estimate, creative brief, change orders, revision notices, review phases and client approvals).
• Able to constantly monitor and report on progress of the project to all stakeholders including deliverables, staffing, schedules, budgets, risks and change requests.
• Proficient in leading project meetings with prepared agendas, clearly stated goals and objectives and processes for tracking decisions, issues and action items.
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited College in a computer, business, technical or related field and 3 years’ experience building and managing website and/or web application projects in a higher education, corporate, or ecommerce environment or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Project and related MS Office tools required.
• Leadership experience supporting a formal, documented project management methodology including establishing project processes, procedures, governance and performance standards.
• Strong English written/verbal communication.
• Strong interpersonal skills, tactfulness, customer-service ethic and follow-through are a must.
• Ability to work in a close team effort where ongoing collaboration among team members and various interconnecting projects is a must.
• Must be comfortable making decisions independently as well as within a team framework.
• Must be a confident self-starter who possesses tenacity, curiosity, and a penchant for detail.
• A passion for learning the latest web technologies.
• Ability to gain solid knowledge of the platforms, software and programs regularly used in the department.
• Expert at recognizing and solving problems quickly.
• PgMP and /or PMP certification.
• Experience with MS Project Server.
• Understanding of website and web application development technologies and process.
• Experience using Microsoft Office SharePoint.
• Ability to plan and coordinate release management with Development & Infrastructure groups.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary for this position has been established at $53,000 to $80,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience
To apply: Please send the following items:
1) A letter of application describing how your education, experience and interests meet the requirements of this position.
3) Examples of project plans for websites, web applications or other technology projects where you were responsible for project management.
Send all application materials electronically to: Jeremy.firstname.lastname@example.org
UCD is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.