Senior Art Director
Sr. Art Director
Are you a creative type who likes to run, even if you aren’t being chased? If the thought of creating original razzle-dazzle ideas on a deadline pumps you up more than it freaks you out, we want to talk to you. Newton Running is looking for a full time employee to play a key role in our creative department. This position reports to our VP, Marketing, is based in Boulder (telecommuting is not an option) and is an excellent opportunity for a skilled graphic designer who is working toward leadership of creative team. The perfect candidate loves running, loves living in Boulder, loves Newton Running shoes, and loves creating branding masterpieces. We realize “love” is a strong word. That is why we used it.
2014 Position Overview
Reporting to the Vice President of Marketing, design and create concepts to meet specific company promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, advertisements, web content, logos, email content, posters, event collateral, catalogues, etc. This is a player/manager role: you will help lead the creative team, but must also be deeply involved in graphic design and asset creation. Must be self-motivated, as well as a team player. Like Peyton Manning. Only better.
• Manage creative staff: hire, supervise, train, mentor, delegate work and conduct performance reviews
• Manage the design requests, development, approval and production process
• Work closely with the VPM and agencies in the creative development and execution process at Newton Running
• Maintain consistently high executional excellence by ensuring appropriate resources are assigned to projects, time lines are managed and strategic brand objectives are met.
• Create concepts, designs and sample layouts based on knowledge of layout principles, aesthetics and company design guidelines.
• Concept and present new ideas
• Incorporate feedback into design revisions
• Use computer software to generate new images.
• Review final layouts and suggest improvements as needed.
• Complete projects by coordinating with outside agencies, art services, printers, etc.
• Maintain all visual assets in a comprehensive, organized and easily accessible manner.
• Navigate the appropriate approval channels for all creative
• Basic 3D modeling a plus
• Motion graphic design a plus
• Commitment to Newton Running’s core values
• Personal involvement in the Company’s Social Responsibility goals
• Participation in community volunteerism and in efforts to reduce the Company’s impact on the planet
Core Competencies and Skill Requirements
• High level of competency using graphic design software such as Adobe Illustrator, InDesign as well as desktop publishing tools
• 5+ years of experience as a graphic designer; some management experienence is a is a distinct advantage
• Able to work with multiple functions in marketing to target commercial objectives and deliver creative output that meets the stated objectives.
• A good listener and a person who can sell ideas by articulating the vision for work
• Has an understanding of the running consumer and is capable of connecting emotionally with him/her and with people who live an active lifestyle
• Experience managing a team
• Agency experience is an advantage
• Ability to work as a part of a team in a very fast paced environment
• Experience and familiarity with front-end web page design and development (HTML and CSS) strongly preferred
• High attention to detail
Required Personality Traits
• Incredibly creative and innovative
• High attention to detail
• Extremely deadline-oriented
• Deeply customer service oriented
• Flexible. Mentally. Physical flexibility is not a requirement
• Strong problem-solving skills
• Bonus points for candidates who are runners
• Double bonus points if you run in Newtons
• Triple bonus points if you named your dog “Sir Isaac Newton”
Interested candidates please send resume and portfolio to email@example.com. Newton Running is an equal opportunity employer.