Duluth Trading Company
At Duluth, we’re a band of hellbent tinkerers and taunters. We’re fussers, futzers and fine-tuners. We don’t take workwear, or too much of anything for that matter, for what it is. We see things for what they could be and what they should be. Then we find a way to make them exactly that. At Duluth, we get our jollies from prodding all things expected with a big pointy stick.
If you fit that bill, we’d like to talk with you about leading our brand as the Creative Director overseeing a whip-smart team of 20 writers, designers, web designers and illustrators. You need to have a track record of leading great creative and strong concept through print, web and motion work.
You’re a talented art director by trade who is now either an ACD or a Creative Director. You’re a proven storyteller and your work samples reflect conceptual strength, campaign integration, a hearty marriage of copy and design and risk taking that paid off. Most importantly, you know how to covet a brand, not change it but enhance it. Your best recent work includes campaigns across print/catalog, web and motion.
About Duluth Trading. We do things differently here in Madison, Wisconsin. If you’ve caught whiff of Duluth’s national TV ads or sat for an hour with our catalog, you understand. We make ingenious, no BS workwear for men and women. We know how to wax a good tale. And we’re growing at a good tick. Fancy terminology is that we’re an omni-channel retail workwear brand, proprietary and sold solely through our website, catalogs and stores. The Duluth Experience is a meaty one, and it’s rare out there in the retail world.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Creative Director, a director-level position, reports to the Vice President of Marketing & E-Commerce and is a member of the management team.
1. Candidate’s conceptual and campaign development skills will beef-up Duluth’s great storytelling across channels, across all media (catalog, digital, motion, retail, photography, illustration, packaging).
2. Improve the quality of our marketing and storytelling through strong executional leadership, from concept through production.
3. Modernize our storytelling and web development proficiency on the Web (desktop, tablet and mobile sites), partnering with the Director of E-Commerce.
4. Inspire and instill design principles and campaign practices across creative team.
5. Create photography, illustration and video styles that enhance customer experience and unify the men’s and women’s brands.
7. Support the Vice President of Marketing’s work with our Agency of Record in national advertising. The Creative Director is not responsible for national advertising, which is lead by the VP of Marketing. But a great creative partner can only add more fuel to the fire.
Knowledge and Background Requirements
• Proven ability to lead, inspire, collaborate with and motivate a team of designers and writers
• 3+ years as a Creative Director or ACD
• 10+ years as an art director/graphic designer. But if you’re a writer whose work elevates design and concept, we want to hear from you.
• A portfolio of Great Work, including integrated campaigns/themes across catalog, website, retail and/or advertising. Portfolio is required for consideration. Please provide digital/web-based portfolio.
• Retail apparel creative direction is desired, though other retail omni-channel experience will be considered.
• Catalog design and management is a big part of the job. You need to have the chops for it.
• Web design (modern HTML standards) experience and motion design (video, etc.) integral to the position
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
Send resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org