The traffic manager is responsible for the flow of work through the agency, from internal scheduling through delivery. S/he opens all jobs entering the agency and assigns a step-by-step schedule of completion to each of those jobs as it is entered. Under the direction of the principal, the traffic manager coordinates movement of all jobs through the account service and creative departments.
Each day the traffic manager posts an internal status report of all active jobs in the shop, assigning a status to each job. Everyone in the agency should receive this hot sheet via internal email. The traffic manager also tracks and/or physically moves jobs from one step of completion to the next.
As changes in timing or scheduling take place, the traffic manager must be informed so an accurate schedule can be produced each day.
Reports to the principal .
• Opens all hard copy agency job jackets.
• Reviews daily work schedule with principal, production manager, creatives, production artists, and creative director.
• Reviews any Job Change Orders from account executives/clients and copies to affected agency personnel.
• Revises schedules and distributes to all departments a daily “Hot Sheet,” listing the most pressing jobs for the day and their current status.
• Publishes a weekly production status report to advise all departments of schedules and job status.
• Expedites all “crisis jobs.” Majority of work should flow through creative/production on a reasonable, scheduled basis, as directed and supervised by the principal and creative director.
• Notifies account executives when necessary to contact clients for any materials, information, etc., required to complete scheduled projects.
• Communicates regularly with account service about the current status of all jobs in progress in creative/production, based on input from production manager and creative director.
• Reports any problems affecting job quality, due dates and costs to account service, after being advised by production manager, principal and/or creative director.
• Proofreads all artwork/digital proofs (or schedules proofreading personnel).
• Retrieves client-approved materials from account executives to continue production process. Makes sure all material is properly signed off as approved by account executive and client.
• Regulates time to allow for an internal review of all concepts with account executive.
• Assists production manager in coordinating schedules of collateral materials to arrive before final deadlines.
• Reminds account executives to weekly update project forecast sheet.
• Notifies the account executive when a job is completed, so s/he can review and close the job and alert accounting the job is ready to bill.
• Incorporates outside vendors or freelancers into the workflow process as needed.
• Obtains quotes from art and photo suppliers, freelancers and other vendors as required by production manager.
• Archives paperwork for all stock photography. Returns licensed, non-digital stock photography to source within the assigned usage period. Maintains licensing records on purchased digital stock for future reference.
• Maintains updated agency sample files.
• Arranges delivery of samples to client and agency personnel for all completed jobs.
• Works with media department to obtain publications’ specifications and extensions when necessary.
• Assists with billing.
• Researches specialty items and purchases items for clients.
• Maintains current computer skills related to daily job functions.