The great Seth Godin is at it again, reinventing what it means to be a publisher. In partnership with Amazon, he's developed The Domino Project – using the tools of new media to bring his (and his colleagues’) ideas to the world in a new way that is the antithesis of what has become a very antiquated system of current book publishing. Godin's new book, Poke the Box, will be the first book available through the platform.
The initial slate of books from The Domino Project are called manifestos, and they are designed to be short and approachable by the majority of the population that doesn’t ordinarily seek out books as a source for information.
Poke the Box is the first title. It represents:
• New Pricing: The hardcover has a street price of less than $10.
• New Formats: There’s a $75 collectible edition.
• New ways to share: You can buy a 5 pack and a 52 pack if you’ve got folks you want to share with.
• New Speed: We can bring a book to you six weeks after it’s finished, not a year later.
• New Structure: The bookstore is not the customer. You are the customer. So we optimize for that.
Strong idea for an industry that certainly needs an overhaul. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.